Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Sad Event

Well, today is 4th Feb, after a day of the bad news. I went to work yesterday having many unanswered question in my thoughts about 3-Feb. When I reached office, I saw many employees waiting in the lobby. I guess they were the chosen ones. Suddenly I felt a surge of sadness in me after I get to swipe in. I wonder whom I know will be retrenched. I quickly sms my family and told them that I am safe, for now.

As 3rd Feb went by, I found out that many colleagues that I know and whom I have worked with closely are all chosen to be retrenced. I felt very mood-off to work or do any report but at the same time there was an issue during CNY week that caused 7-wafers to be scrapped under my department. Whole day was just compiling report for my department and also multi tasking for the 7-wafers scrapped report. At the same time, I was being updated by another colleague who was being retrenched. When I saw the names, I felt... "Why them? Don't they have high technical knowledge?"... many questions but all are unanswered as these are the decision of the management. No one knows how the management thinks.

Well, I can see sadness on colleagues from other departments. They are so low moraled by the event. Seeing my colleague's desk all cleaned up really made me feel sad. I had to embrace a smiley face to be positive and not totally affected by the event. I guess we are all affected by the economic crisis, be it direct or indirect. Be positive even if a negative event happen. It happens for a reason. I thank God that I have family and friends are all very concerned about me. I thank them all.

Today is 4th Feb and it seems that there were still others being retrenched. Well, life still goes on. Total 600 people were retrenched from my company to cope with the down-turn of the economic crisis. I do wish them good luck in their coming adventure. Be happy always my friends...

PS:- Sorry, no pictures to post. And I heard those who got retrenched, had good packages (based on years of service). Highest paid was 19.5 years. WOW!!!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Fiona, regret to read of your office laying off staff. Glad you not on the list.
    I too was laid off once long, long ago...but luck or fate came in and I got another job, a better one with bigger salary....and from there, I never looked back

    My thoughts and prayers will be with you Fiona. Glad you have a good head on your shoulder.
    Times like this we have to be strong...and have hope. We must have hope.
    I wish you the very best, and have hope Fiona. You'll be okay.

    However, I am sure the economy will turn round soon....as Banks relax their credits and loans.
    Houses etc are at their lowest...and soon it will entice buyers to come in. Thats how the ball starts rolling.

    Just a few minutes ago I received a phone call from a lady friend in KL....with good news. She had applied for migration to Canada, Toronto last year.
    And just today received news she and family have to go for a medical check-up.
    That is just a formality...they'll be here by latest August. Whole family.

    My married neice too waiting for her Canada PR application to be approved anytime now...as well couple of other KL friends.
    They all want to start a new life here.

    Oh ya, you mentioned about reaching 'June' of my Blog postings. Thank you for reading and glad you enjoy my life experiences.

    Fiona, next to my wife's story....the most beautiful love experience I experienced was of a beautiful matured lady, twice my age....who fell in love with a man half her age, me.

    Not sure you read it...but it was the longest posting I ever did, and emotional one for me too.
    To do justice to her, I started from the very beginning...altogether 19 episodes. Took 3 weeks to conclude, at 3 days intervals. 5 Postings altogether.

    Check out my archive, "A Faded letter from the past", d/d 1/4/08.....for the beginning...and the conclusion, 1/31/08. You'll learn quite a lot about my life too, ahemmm, ha ha.

    Once again, thank you for being a friend, Fiona.
    You keep well and have a pleasant week, Best regards, Lee.

    ps, let me know if and when you read. Would appreciate if you want to comment, please leave it in present posting. Saves me searching where you are, ha ha. Thanks. Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Fiona, regret to hear that and I think you really felt down especially for those fellow colleagues that working together for the past few years..

    Hope you feel better and cheer up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiona, I'm back! So sorry to read about your company is laying off some of your colleagues. Hope you feel better now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all (U.Lee, Moon Loh and MummyGwen)

    Thanks for your concern and heart-felt for me... you can say that this week is not a good week for me as I have seen people going off with immediate effect without saying goodbyes. Those who left are the ones which I worked closely and also have on-going project with them. So imagine, I have this 1 project where consists of 3 members and all 2 are retrenched and left me. Haha, so wondering goes is how will the project end when it is part of my appraisal? Go figure...

    But then again, life and work still goes on with or without them. Bear in mind that they got quite a good sum because they worked for a long time. I heard the highest paid is way above SGD100K because of 19.5years service. So you see, I may feel sad but they might be happy to receive a huge compensation amount and find themselves a better job.

    Hehe... I am alright, it is just that it made me felt worried for a little while if I were retrenched and how would I react.. Happy? Sad? Mix feelings? But I guess everyone would have to go through such moves in a life..

    PS: Mummy Gwen, finally you are back and VERY NICE to hear from you again... Miss you so much..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fiona, just dropped by say hello. Have a pleasant weekend. Hope everything okay. Best regards, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi SIL.Sorry to hear what's going on with your company.It sucks now the economy worldwide.It's no better here in M'sia too as I heard my friend's company also retrenching.Thank God, mine is not really that affected.And thankfully you are not one of the unlucky ones.I think they will let go of the senior (about to retiree) first and give more chance to younger employees like yourself.Cheer up!It will be OK soon.

    ReplyDelete